Subject: [lojban] Re: materials needed for resumption of ju'i lobypli

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:20:23 -0700

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 05:09:10PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell scripsit:
> 
> > I would like to see someone write a discussion of mu'ei and all
> > the issues related to it in Truly Moronic Idiot speech, please.
> 
> No points for me, but here it is in short words.
> 
> We use "mu'ei" to talk about what must be or could be true. To do
> this, we speak of states of the world. There are a lot of states
> that the world could have. I could be dead or not dead. You
> could be dead or not dead. That is four states right there. As
> you can see, the count of states, when each case has been thought
> of, will be huge. States like the one in which 2 + 2 is 5 do not
> count, for we can't think clear thoughts about them: we don't know
> what they mean.
> 
> If you add "mu'ei" with a PA in front to a claim, it tells me that
> your claim is true in just PA states of the world. The PAs "no",
> "su'o", and "ro" are the PAs that will be most used with "mu'ei".
> The word "romue'i" is a lot like "must be", and "su'omu'ei" is a
> lot like "could be"; "nomu'ei" means "can't be".
> 
> You can say things like mu'ei lo du'u le trene cu spofu kei mi
> (jai) lercu, which means "If the train breaks down, I would be
> late".

You haven't explained at this point how mu'ei with*out* PA works.

> The "so'X" group works with "mu'ei" too, to mean things like
> "quite likely is" down to "might possibly be".

That was *exactly* the level I was looking for. Can you write a
bunch more of it? 8)

I can translate.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi