Subject: [lojban] Re: ynai

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:10:29 -0400

>> >{mi viska le bloti y nai} is grammatical according to jbofi'e, but {mi
>> viska
>> >le bloti nai} is not. Is it correct?
>>
>> The nai bonds to the y. NAI never bond to a word other than the
immediately
>> preceeding one. Thus, mi viska le bloti ynai means "I see the boat (and I
>> don't hesitate to say so)" whereas mi viska le bloti nai is ungramatical.
I
>> have been unable to find Y being negated in this way in any real use,
>> however.

>That's icky. Saying "uh" should not change the grammar of the sentence.
>It should be pre-parsed out like word+SI.

The ickiness of ynai is probably responsible for its complete lack of use.
As NAI shepherd on the BPFK, I have looked for that particular compound
before, and it does not seem to exist. Aside from being in the grammar (at
least jbofi'e thinks so; I can't read BNF), there is nothing in the baseline
at present telling us that ynai should be grammatical. My interpretation
that the nai bonds to the y is based on the fact that in every single other
use, nai bonds to the word right before it.