Subject: Re: The art of place structure. (And how to destroy it.)

From: "eye_onus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:52:45 -0000

<snip>
> Welcome.

Thank you.

> >would have to say 'mi klama le sorcu fu karce', and if I then, as
> 
> It would be "fu lo karce". Gadri were the last common thing I 
learned to use
> properly; the simple rule is that all sumti need them even if the 
English
> doesn't.

Actually, I was thikning of 'my car' rather than 'the car' or 'a 
car', so it would 'fu le mi karce', correct?

> >finish that with 'fi zo'e zo'e'. I am familiar with 'se' and 
related,
> >which switch x1 and xn, but is there a way to alter the place
> >structure of 'klama' to mean 'x1 goes to x2 by means x3 from x4 via
> >route x5'?
> 
> Multiple SE. For example, se te se swaps x2 and x3. Watch:
> 
<snip>
> Very messy. I stick with FA if I need afterthought, and remember 
that
> although the distributions aren't a perfect match for the order 
they aren't
> bad - the first two are usually right, and the rest aren't used all 
that
> much.

I'll take your advice on that, then. I'm sure Lojbanists would 
understand the 'fa' in 'mi klama sorcu fu le mi klama fa zo'e zo'e' 
would mean 'the first /unfilled/ sumti place' and not 'the first 
sumti place' in that context.

<snip>
> It is only an issue when we are getting really serious
> and discussing how things 'ought' to be.

In that case, I'll be as maglico as possible... MWA HA HA. 
Seriously, though, I tend to use lenghty words in English to avoid 
possible misinterpretations or misunderstanding, and have a tendency 
to take people at their literal meaning. (A running joke with my 
friends is when they ask 'What's up?' I say 'The sky.' or 'The 
ceiling.', depending on if I'm outside.)

-Jon
(Reposted (and slightly different from the original) because my 
original reply was sent directly to Craig, when I had meant to post 
it to the group. Apologies to Craig for the double-post.)