Subject: FW: The art of place structure. (And how to destroy it.)

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:20:28 -0400

Since this is going back on-list, here is the response I sent eye_onus.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 11:47 AM
To: eye_onus
Subject: RE: The art of place structure. (And how to destroy it.)

>> >would have to say 'mi klama le sorcu fu karce', and if I then, as
>an
>>
>> It would be "fu lo karce". Gadri were the last common thing I
>learned to use
>> properly; the simple rule is that all sumti need them even if the
>English
>> doesn't.

> Actually, I was thinking 'my car', not 'a car' or 'the car', so it
>would be 'fu le mi karce', correct?

Correct.

> I'll take your advice, then, as I'm sure that every Lojbanist would
>understand that in 'mi klama sorcu fu le mi karce fa zo'e zo'e', 'fa'
>would mean 'The first /unfilled/ sumti place' and not 'the first
>sumti place' in the context.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. It means the first place. What you want really is
'mi klama lo sorcu fu le mi karce *fi* zo'e zo'e'.

BTW, zo'e is almost never used. Any place that is not filled is filled with
zo'e by default; I've only seen zo'e explicitly put in when it was a place
people might forget existed. Representational painting, for example, where
what the painting is of is one of the little-used later places and the
writer didn't want you to think they meant abstract art.

> In that case, I'll be as maglico as is possible... MWA HA HA.
>Seriously, though, I try to be as explicit as possible, and tend to
>be very lengthy in English, because I don't like to be misinterpreted
>or misunderstood. Yet another reason to take up Lojban, eh?

So your English is malylojbo?