Subject: Re: [lojban] The art of place structure. (And how to destroy it.)

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:37:03 -0400

On Friday 18 April 2003 22:39, eye_onus wrote:
> I recently came across la lojban. due to Eric S. Raymond (the author
> of 'The Jargon File') and his paper on using J.R.R. Tolkien's Tengwar
> character set for Lojban. I've been working on learning it, and have
> recently completed Chapter 3 of 'Lojban for Beginner's' by Robin
> Turner and Nick Nicholas, whereupon I came to the lojban
> word 'klama' : x1 goes to x2 from x3 via route x4 by means x5
>
> As in 'I go to the store from my house via Bradway using my car.'
>
> The thing is, I would think that the means for how x1 goes to x2
> would be used more often than where the x1 departs from (x3) or
> especially what route x1 is taking (x4). i.e. 'I go to the store in
> my car.' happens more often than 'I go to the store from my house.'
> x4 I would not think is used much at all.
>
> So, if I wanted to say 'I went to the store in my car.' in Lojban, I
> would have to say 'mi klama le sorcu fu karce', and if I then, as an
> afterthought, also decided to say where from and what route, I would
> finish that with 'fi zo'e zo'e'. I am familiar with 'se' and related,
> which switch x1 and xn, but is there a way to alter the place
> structure of 'klama' to mean 'x1 goes to x2 by means x3 from x4 via
> route x5'?

If you go to the store to buy something, that's zarci or zaisle, not sorcu. 
When I went to the sorcu, I got my furniture out of it, where I had put it 
some years before.