Subject: Re: The art of place structure. (And how to destroy it.)

From: "eye_onus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 03:29:45 -0000

> Note that you don't need the "fa zo'e zo'e" at all. Any place that 
is
> left out is automatically "zo'e".

Yes, I understand that much. I was using 'zo'e zo'e' as 
in 'something something'. Not as in 'mi klama zo'e zo'e zo'e zo'e' 
is 'I go.' (even though it is...) but as in 'mi klama zo'e' is 'I go 
to (something).' (even though I'm pretty sure it isn't.) Basically, I 
was using the word 'zo'e' to the lojban for 'something', or 'insert 
word that makes sense here.'

> I assume this is the reason you're using fa. "fa" actually always 
means
> the first sumti place, even if it's filled, and if it's filled twice
> it's treated like "and". "mi klama fa do" means "you and I go", but 
it's
> a rather obtuse way to say it.

No, that's not even close. Since any sumti after a FA sumti (mi 
klama fi zo'e zo'e') is the one following, (the second 'zo'e' is 
the 'fo' place) I was thinking that fa would take you back to the 
beginning, and starting off at the first unfilled summti: x1 klama x2 
fu x5 fa (x1 is filled, x2 is filled, go to x3) x3 x4, but I was 
mistaken.

> Why is that "sorcu" there? Do you mean that you go to the 
stockpile? In
> that case, you want to say "mi klama le sorcu"; you can't leave out
> articles. If you meant "store", as in "market", then "mi klama le
> zarci".

When I looked up the word for 'store', I got one for 'indirect 
question', 'store', and 'market'. I was thinking market as in an open-
air marketplace and 'store' as in grocery store, so I chose 'sorcu'. 
I didn't know from the information I had that 'sorcu' store is 
the 'to store' kind, and not the 'I buy stuff here' kind. It appears 
in the dictionary I used as this:

store: kau (indirect question)
store: sorcu (store)
store: zarci (market)

> So what you want to say is something like "mi klama le zarci fu le 
mi
> karce".
> 
> Don't be intimidated by all these corrections, incidentally - if 
people
> didn't make mistakes and learn from them, there would be no new
> Lojbanists.
> -- 
> Rob Speer

I don't mind being corrected- I expect to be making mistakes, though 
I'll be trying to keep it to a minimum. When you guys cease to 
correct me, I'll know that I've finally got the hang of it. 
(Currently, my biggest problem is remembering the words, the 
grammar's actually pretty easy so far- complex, but easy.)

On a slightly unrelated note: What do you think about a Lojban 
version of 'Mad Libs'?

-Jon, who finally remembered to make sure his reply was going to 
the /group/, not the author. (I really hate that about Y!Groups.)