Subject: RE: [lojban] Some ideas/questions (long)

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 10:38:23 -0400

>> Or better yet, why not use the three-letter rafsi all
>> the time? That would shorten text considerably and, when the words
>> are only one syllable long, it could reduce the need for all the word
>> shortcuts that may also be complicated to learn. Not only that, but
>> using rafsi full-time means that, in order to make lujvo, all you
>> must do is jam words together.

>It would also eliminate the difference between tanru and lujvo, an
>essential Loglan/Lojban concept.

My understanding is that this is basically the -gua!spi approach.

>"gaufek" is not well-formed, because it doesn't end in a vowel; otherwise,
>your reasoning is entirely sound.

"gaufek" also does not have a consonant cluster in its first five letters.
Thus, breaks up as "gau fek" - a cmavo and a cmene.

>> Another oddball
>> is the bottle/jar/urn example above...'x1 is a bottle' plus 'x1 is
>> made of x2'? And why must lid be specified in this predicate?

>Because the presence of the lid is what makes it a botpi rather than
>a kabri or perhaps a patxu or even something else. "Lid" can be
>identified with cork or stopper as well.

I feel bottle is a misleading keyword. "botpi" is a lidded container, which
may or may not be a bottle. It certainly has a lid.

---

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 10:38:23 -0400