Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: xumtau

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 19:39:21 -0400

On Sunday 04 May 2003 18:54, oskar2379 wrote:
> Pierre,
>
> Do you mean that lojban has no word that just means 'compound'? What
> about jorne or mixre? Anyway, I like your idea.

{mixre} means "mixture". A mixture of hydrogen and oxygen is different from 
water. {jorne} means "bond"; e.g. ne'i lo cicnykliru lo tabno lo trano cu 
jorne lo cimei, in cyanogen a carbon and a nitrogen are triple bonded. I made 
a list of proposed chemical gismu at 
http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Chemistry .

> But while we are on the subject; I wonder if there is a way to name
> atoms by their atomic number. If one could make a lujvo for 'charged-
> particle', and then attach numbers to it to signify how many (since
> in principle it is the # of protons/electrons that differenciates
> atoms) you could have words for hydrogen and gold, and still have
> room for elements yet to be discovered.

{ratni} x2 can be the atomic number. I wrote a list of element names at 
http://www.lojban.org/jbovlaste/wiki/periodic%20table; for ones like 
"unbinilium" that have no name but a number, one can say {pavrelnoncmu}, but 
no one is going to use words like {zelsozycmu} for every element when he can 
just say {solji}.

phma

---

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 19:39:21 -0400

phma