Subject: [lojban] Re: Some ideas/questions (long)

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 17:52:56 -0600

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:51:57PM -0000, oskar2379 wrote:
> > > 'the image of a cat'. The word 'of' usually implies association, 
> as 
> > > if it were a *part* of the cat.
> > 
> > The "of" in this case is just part of the grammatical machinery of
> > English, sort of equivalent to Lojban "be". When I speak of "the
> > mother of John", I don't imply that John's mother is part of John.
> > Alternatively, you wind up saying that everything John stands in 
> relation
> > to is part of John, which reduces the idea of "part" to a nullity.
> 
> That's true, but isn't your own image a part of you? At least 
> metaphorically?

My image is a surface which reflects (or emits) photons in a pattern
more or less identical to the way I reflect photons.

(I'm reminded of some cultures which believe that taking a photograph
of someone capture's their soul.)

-- 
Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Reality is what refuses to go away
when you stop believing in it.

---

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 17:52:56 -0600