Subject: [lojban] Re: semantic space

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:27:31 -0400

>>>>>Lojban doesn't really classify relations at all:
>>>>
>>>>the gismu list is a large and disorderly bag whose merit is that it
>>>>blankets semantic space,
>>>
>>>has this really been demonstrated?
>>
>>
>> How does one demonstrate that? (Or, for starters, measure semantic
space?)
>>
>I would have thought one thing Lojban does very well is classifying
>relations. "Semantic space" is just a (sometimes) convenient metaphor.
>There is no real space out there to be carved up into concepts.

Well, in a sense there is. If we only had thirty-five gismu (the lowest
minimum I've heard claimed as necessary) then we would need them all to
encompass a great deal of stuff.

---

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:27:31 -0400

space?)