Subject: RE: [lojban] 1st Person Imperative

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:04:00 -0400

>> >> What's the 1st Person Imperative analogous to 'ko'?
>> >>
>> >> How do you say "Let's eat!"?
>>
>> >I'd say {e'u mi'o citka}.
>>
>> But, since Viktoro specifically wanted an imperative, the only way to get
>> that is with ko. E'u and e'o do not make commands.

>I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that
>{e'u mi'o citka} is not a good translation of "Let's eat!",
>or are you just saying that it should not be classified
>with the grammatical term "imperative"?

e'u mi'o citka is a great translation. Grammatically, however, the question
was about ko-type forms. The meaning of ko is different from that of an e'o
or e'u construction, and has no analogue for first person. But since the
value of the do to which ko refers can be set with doi, the analogue of ko
would be ko. Needless to say, such a construction is far from useful, as
most such utterances fit better with an e'u (or e'o) anyway.

This is also one way to translate "someone feed the cat" that has been
suggested - make it the same as "feed the cat" but with a "doi da" at the
beginning.

---

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:04:00 -0400