Subject: Re: [lojban] Mass/Set

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:59:46 -0500

At 01:43 PM 03/11/2000 -0800, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la lojbab cusku di'e
> >It better, since most people who eat apples only eat a fraction of them,
> >discarding the core.
>
>Yes, I forgot to comment about that. Obviously discarding
>the core or the peel still counts as eating an apple, but
>does eating half an apple count as eating an apple?
>It doesn't in English,

Only to adults %^) Sometimes my kids "eat an apple" and what is left is 
easily half.

> and I suspect it doesn't count
>as {citka lo plise} in Lojban either.

Implicit quantifier su'o normally means "one" but could be "part of one" in 
some circumstances. Let us say that I spot someone's head far away 
sticking above an obstruction. I would say "I see someone"; "mi viska lo 
prenu" even though what I saw was far less than a person (one reason why I 
think of individual people as masses, and indeed individual objects of any 
kind - if the relevant properties can be met by part of the whole, then we 
say it applies to the whole rather as a mass). To clearly say you ate the 
whole apple, you can say piropa or piro le pa lo plise.

>co'o mi'e xorxes
>
>______________________________________________________
>Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9%
>Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/936/1/_/17627/_/952810998/
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]

----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)