Subject: games (was: re: new lojban website)

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:59:47 PDT

Easy to use the format of this, i like it....

While browsing, i noticed the old coinages for "game" using -KEI
(of KELCI) instead of SELKEI, are still there. While of course
the ultimate meaning of lujvo will defer to usage, in order to
say 'baseball player' this way, we'll be saying 'baseballplayer
player' literally...

I think more precisely, however, a game is a sort of ritual, so
that "to play a game" is RITLYKEI (children play without any
fixed rules, so that SELKEI might simply be what they do, then);
& "the game itself" would be KEINRITLI.

Which brings me to a caution: it is much better to have to coin
your own, however awkward, lujvo, than to rely on unanalyzed readymades--if 
too many people learn Lojban this way, it will end
by causing the meanings of component rafsi to drift away from
their original gismu...

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com