Subject: Re: [lojban] lujvo glossing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:16:31 EDT

I'm glad someone (else) is undertaking this. The lirst list contains some 
surprises though,
especially given the modifer-modified order in Lojban tanrus::

1 ba'ucpi utter+bird 

bacru+cipni: birdcall/birdsong: x1 = bacru1 (utterer) = cipni1 (bird), x2 = 
bacru2
(sound)
The tanru looks more like "song bird" than "bird song," so I'd've expected 
"x1 is a
songbird of species x2 which cries x3" (under circumstance x4?)(maybe x2 and 
x3
reversed?) And, if this is "birdsong," wouldn't the song be x1?

2 ba'usna utter+sound 

bacru+sance: to sing, to vocally make sound: x1 = bacru1 (utterer) = 
sance2 (producer),
x2 = bacru2 (speech) = sance1 (sound)

How does this differ from bacru itself, or has that come to mean any mode of 
expression,
and so we need to specify the sound form? But then, wouldn't it be a sound 
utterance
rather than an utterance sound. Or is this the form for the sound uttered, 
so that x1 is a
noise, not an agent (roughly se bacru for sounds)?

0+3 ba'urslepoi utter+cell+sequence 

0+7 ba'urslepoimi'u utter+cell+sequence+same 

16 ba'usle utter+cell 

I can't think of what a uttered cell might be literally, so I suspect a 
genuine metaphor here,
possibly "phoneme" or "phone" or some other -eme or allo- at a higher level 
(tagm, say). 

6 ba'urdu'i utter+equal 

bacru+dunli: to mimic/imitate a sound: x1 = bacru1 (utterer), x2 = bacru2 
(sound) =
dunli1 (left side), x3 = dunli2 (right side), x4 = dunli3 (comparator)

Again, the underlying tanru looks like "equal in utterance" so that the 
utterers are x1 and
x2 and what they equally utter is x3. I have no idea what this means, 
however.

4 ba'usni utter+sign 

bacru+sinxa: to speak in code/an unknown language: x1 = bacru1 (utterer), x2 
=
bacru2 (speech) = sinxa1 (sign), x3 = sinxa2 (meaning), x4 = sinxa3 (observer)

Why not just a spoken (or transmitted, if bacru is general) sign, rather than 
the uttering of
it: sinxa bacru?

3 babranti soap+soft 

You'd expect "soft soap," being a kind of soap to have that order. What can 
this mean<
"soft as soap"?

2 babysenta soap+layer 

zbabu+senta: a soapy layer/layer of soap: x1 = senta1 (layer), x2 = senta2 
(of) =
zbabu1 (soap-made-thing), x3 = senta3 (object), x4 = zbabu2 (source), x5 = 
zbabu3
(composition) 

I suppose we'd normally say "soap film."

1[1] bacfendi beyond+divide 
^ 
* new=batfendi bite+divide 

0+1 backru beyond+curve 

I'd love to see some context on these; they look like hyperarithmatic 
operations and
products.
pc