Subject: onelist/egroups merger

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:02:38 -0400

Well, the mailing list merger is apparently complete, and people may have 
gotten a message to this effect. I went and checked out the egroups.com 
site, and founds some interesting stuff and made a couple of changes in my 
capacity as joint moderator.

1. Hopefully we will be properly listed in the category index soon. They 
had us listed under "dictionary: reference" for some reason. We are now to 
be under
sciences/social sciences/languages and linguistics/constructed 
languages/logical languages/Lojban (they had a category set up for us, but 
did not have us in that category!)

I suggest that whoever moderates jbosnu make the corresponding change. (If 
you want to add me and/or cowan as joint moderator(s) so we can keep the 
two lists in sync, that is fine.)

Also for said moderator, you may want to add some English description to 
the text description for the list, or at least add the name of the language 
with a capital - a search for "Lojban" does not find "jbosnu", though a 
search for "lojban" finds both lists.

2. We now have 20 megs of file storage space that any member can add to. I 
am going to suggest that anything people create or would like to see on the 
Lojban web pages should be uploaded to the file site. This includes 
suggested modifications to the Lojban pages themselves for the HTML 
experts. I will try to check the area regularly and decide what to use and 
cleanup what I can't use (or weed things out if we approach the size 
limit). One file is already there.

3. Under data bases, I have set up a contact list, so people may add 
addresses and other information. This could be useful for people who want 
to find Lojbanists who live near them, as well as for enabling private 
Lojban interactions.

4. There is apparently the capability to set up impromptu Lojban chats, a 
la IRC. You need Java capability, but this may be easier for some people 
than using IRC. I did not see an ability to log the channel.

5. People can add links to Lojban sites. Some have already been added by 
people who noticed this feature, but there are a lot of sites that could 
still be added, and the Webring in particular seems like something that 
should be on the list directly.

6. If you want a link to Lojban List on your page, the "promotions" link on 
the Lojban List page gives two alternate forms of HTML that can be added to 
a page.

7. There is a calendar function on the Lojban List page, which if I 
understand correctly could be used to schedule IRC or chat sessions (Nora 
and I have always wondered when to look for such sessions - I have never 
found anyone on #Lojban when I have looked).

8. There is also the capability to conduct polls, though I'm not sure how 
we would productively use this.

At the moment, Lojban List has 188 members, plus another 34 people who are 
bouncing (I need to do some weeding to see which addresses have been 
bouncing for a long time.)

----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)