Subject: Interaction of SE and NAhE

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:32:10 +0100 (BST)

coi rodo

I'm considering the interaction of SE and NAhE. The following examples
and my guesses at the English equivalents show what I mean.

mi se klama
(I am a destination)

mi na'e klama
(I am other than a go-er)

mi na'e se klama
(I am other than a destination)

mi se na'e klama
(I am the destination of other than a go-er)

mi se na'e te klama
(I am the destination of other than an origin)

Thinking about this problem, I've concluded that if

mi broda ijo mi na'e brode

then (broda) and (na'e brode) are constrained to have the same place
structure. In examples like the more complicated ones above, I think na'e
means 'other than' the x1 meaning of whatever's to the right of it. If a
SE occurs to the left of na'e, it exchanges the scalar-negated place into
one of the x2-xn positions, as in the final example.

li xo cu jei drani

co'o mi'e ritcyd.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare Network time sync for Linux/Solaris/Dial-up at
United Kingdom http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/chrony/