Subject: Re:RECORD: za'o

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:59:49 EDT

&:
pc>>(I don't think achievements can go on overtime since they
>>don't go on at all),
>If they don't go on at all, then that's only by definitional fiat. Most
achievements (e.g. a train crossing a border) have or lack duration according
to how magnified one's view of it is. My personal favourite za'o/superfective
examplar involves in fact "become full", as with a suitcase that becomes
full but continues to be stuffed beyond this point.<

pc:
Maybe it is definitional, but achievements tend to be terminal aspects of 
processes and the processes and their perfective aspects often have the same 
name: win a race, for example (of fill a suitcase). The actual winning is 
the instant that the tape breaks when all other conditions have been met; 
before that there is only a likelihood of a win, after that the race has been 
won -- the winning is already past. And notice that it is only the running 
(or the stuffing) that goes on, not winning the race nor filling the bag. 
(The bag case is less clear, of course, since it is less clear exactly when 
the bag is full.)