Subject: Sex words

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 05:00:38 EDT

Lojban relationship words, Gender and relationship words -- not a record but 
an appeal for polishing an area off

Some words suggested, in need of definitions, explication, general tidying.
Brook Conner:
glependo - "fuck-buddy" (but no derogatory connotations [makes "fuck" a bad 
choice in English -- gletu has none in Lojban, pc])
gletu pendo
pampendo - "non-sexual lover/deep friend"
prami pendo
cinprami - "sexualove" (?lover?pc)
cinse prami
pamgle - loving intercourse
pamygletu - [same]
prami gletu
pamcinse - loving sexuality
prami cinse
pedgle - friendly intercourse
pe'ogle - [same]
pe'ogletu - [same]
pedgletu - [same]
pendo gletu
malgle fuck1 (? as opposed how to simple copulation?pc)
malpe'o fuck (presumably, fuck3, since pendo has not implication of 
intercourse, pc)

pc
presumably all dyadic relations, none very clear. 

Note: pendo (and presumably most other words of similar sort -- which I 
leave deliberately vague ) is defined in terms of observable properties, 
behaving in a friendly fashion over a period of time (pleasant conversation, 
helpful actions, and so on-- a deliberately open-ended list). These action 
are taken to indicate affection and benevolence, but this is not required for 
the term. However, when proof of lack of the latter arises (typically by some 
other actions) we may withdraw the attribution and say things like "I thought 
he was a friend but he turned out not to be" or "but he was just pretending" 
or perhaps "but he changed."

gletu appears to need some clarification, given the range of activities that 
these (and the following) words suggest as possibly under it (oral? anal? 
digital (yes, including big toes or the athletically inclined)? "clit 
bumping"? mechanical? self? -- I assume that these will make cases of 
German shepherds and sheep clear). 

Brook Conner
pavycinglepre (monosexual) 
relcinglepre (bisexual). 

Lojbab
woman-become-man for male to female transsexuals(or past-man-woman)
reverse the genders for the other direction.
monadic? or places for former and present names

pc
This leaves out a lot of possibilities: transgendered (i.e., living as other 
gender without body alteration), transvestite, and, of course, homosexual and 
heterosexual. And this does not even get into the mass of biologically 
defined variant sexes: xx males (hypersensitive to testosterone), xy females 
(lack testosterone receptors), xyy males and overt hermaphrodites of various 
degrees

Brook Conner
>Another example, in English, the phrase "my wife's girlfriend" is perhaps
>startling, but also unclear in meaning - is this just a friend who is
>female? Or does my wife sleep with this friend? Is this something that
>is part of our family structure? Or is it something clandestine?

Lojbab
pendo does not indicate a sexual relationship no matter what genders are 
involved. If you wantto imply a sexual relationship you must explicitly 
add cinse or when appropriate gletu. So my spouse's female-friend is fine.

More complicated might be teenage "going-with" relationships. My 13 year 
old flirts and is flirted with by half the boys in her school, has at any 
given time one "boyfriend", but this seems to change every few weeks, and 
hopefully is well short of gletu. I would probably use special-friend, or 
special-boy-friend, or even special-sexual-friend.

Brook Conner
Another example: my friend's child. There's no real way to express
(that I can think of) in English what your relationship is with this
child without a) sounding like a child molester or b) spending a
paragraph or two explaining what is intended. Is this someone I know,
but have no interaction with? Or someone who is a friend of mine as
well? Or someone I think of as a child of my own?

Lojbab
If you are of the same generation as your friend, in Lojban you are a 
metaphorical uncle. So he is a friend-nephew or friend-se-uncle

pc
Loglan regularly used a word for "social" to distinguish these kinds of 
relationships from biological ones. The various kinds of blended families 
create another place where work is needed (or in need of recording anyhow): 
steps, halfs, double halfs, adoptions, surrogate, ....

This thread also introduced some discussion of Lojban swearing or, rather, 
insulting but reached no very clear conclusion about how to do it well or 
accurately -- who was being held in contempt by ionai, for example, or how 
that contempt should be rendered -- except perhaps contextually.