Subject: Re: [lojban] Sex words

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:02:18 -0600 (MDT)

Just some grammatical nitpicking...

Brook Conner wrote:

> Actually, wouldn't "mi cinprami do" translate equally well as "I am a
> sexual-lover of you" and "I sexually-love you"? You'd need cmavo to make
> clear which one you meant, wouldn't you?

They mean exactly the same thing; you can't make a distinction because
there isn't one, although "I sexually-love you" is simpler.

Still, any lojban gismu or lujvo can be translated in many ways out of
context -- cinprami could be translated as the verb "sexually-love", as in
"mi cinprami do", or as the noun "sexual-lover", as in "le cinprami".

> Again, see above. I think, without the cmavo, it could be translated in
> English either way. "nu pamgle" is clearly an event, but "mi nu pamgle
> do" could mean "I have loving intercourse with you" or "I
> am-in-the-event-of loving intercourse with you".

No, "mi nu pamgle do" means "I AM an event of loving-intercourse with
you". The best match for the second English sentence there could be "mi
caca'o pamgle do", "I'm currently having loving-intercourse with you".

co'omi'e xarmuj.