Subject: Re: [lojban] slashdot.org gives Lojban a push

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:18:19 -0400

At 12:40 PM 05/02/2000 +0200, Daniel Gudlat wrote:
>la lojbab. cusku di'e
> > I just found out that Lojban was merely mentioned in a topic of discussion
> > on slashdot.org a few days ago. The result has been a phenomonal set of
> > hits (not to mention a discussion thread that was around 400K of download,
> > though relatively little of that was about Lojban).
>
>That's known as the "slashdot effect". Well, more correctly, the
>slashdot effect pertains to the downing of web servers that are well
>suited to the load normally imposed on them, when those servers get hit
>by a million geeks in one day after the site was mentioned in a slash
>dot front article.

Well, I don't *think* we went down %^)

I'm a little concerned whether we'll have a premium charge from our ISP for 
exceeding some bandwidth limit.

> > The following, where I respond to Don Harlow, who told me about it, gives
> > the URL and the stunning hit numbers. If any significant percentage of
> > these turns to Lojban List subscriptions or book orders, we will shortly be
> > drowning in new people.
>
>Don't count on it, but it's entirely possible that the number of
>subscribers to the lojban list on egroups will double in the coming
>weeks...

That would be nice, especially if they are seriously interested people.

> > Oh, kinda interesting is that the hits on the 29th came from 63 different
> > country domains, including such places as Christmas Island and Niue.
>
>Hmm, we may finally get a truly international audience on the list. This
>may prove interesting. Three cheers to slashdot if it really happens!

We already have a quite international audience. Take a look sometime. Our 
most frequent poster is Jorge from Argentina. Chris from New Zealand just 
responded on this thread. I think something like 30-40% of list 
subscribers are known to be non-US people

> > I am not sure I ever heard of slashdot.org before this. But
> > obviously a lot of people read it seriously.
>
>You betcha. It's THE geek site on the internet. And your comment above
>disproves the alleged geekiness of lojban: How can lojban be a geek
>language when the head of the LLG doesn't even know about /. ?

There are a LOT of things that the head of the LLG doesn't know about the 
Internet, and especially about Web sites, since I rarely browse and never surf.

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)