Subject: Re: [lojban] coi rodo -- greetings from the newbie

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:38:24 -0400

At 12:17 PM 05/03/2000 -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> > Your Truly,
> > Jeff Olson
> > (any suggestions as to how that would be spelled/pronounced in lojban?)
>
>coi djef
>You can pronounce it (nearly) as-is, unless you pronounce it
>differently than I'm guessing. The lojban spelling would be {DJEF
>OLsyn}. Assuming midwest American English pronunciation: `e' as in
>`let', `o' as in `so', and `y' as `a' in `about'. Capitalization is
>used to mark stress. Remember to keep the vowels pure.

This is a good answer, but two points:

1) Lojban syllables with "y" are never stressed, the default stress is 
penultimate (next to last syllable), and we generally do not capitalize 
unless necessary. So while Pol has given an acceptable Lojban version, the 
normal writing would be without the capitals as "djef olsyn".

2) Most dialects of English do not actually use a "y" in the pronunciation 
where Pol inserted one, but just use syllabic "n". Thus another choice 
perhaps more true to the pronunciation, would be "djef olsn", where you 
could also write it as "ol,sn" or "ols,n" to make the syllabication clear.

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)