Subject: Re: [lojban] coi rodo -- greetings from the newbie

From: Paul Jarc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 19:15:31 -0400 (EDT)

Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) writes:
> At 12:17 PM 05/03/2000 -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> >The lojban spelling would be {DJEF OLsyn}.
> 
> This is a good answer, but two points:
> 
> 1) Lojban syllables with "y" are never stressed, the default stress is 
> penultimate (next to last syllable),

More precisely, IIRC, it's the next-to-last non-y syllable (i.e., the
non-y syllable most immediately prior to the last non-y syllable, as
opposed to the non-y syllable most immediately prior to the last
syllable). {olsyn} has no such syllable, of course, so I guess stress
would go on `ol' after all. I just couldn't remember offhand how
cmene differed here, if at all.

> So while Pol has given an acceptable Lojban version,

I think I prefer `Paul' in English, or {la pol} in lojban. `Pol' is a
bit... odd-seeming. Speaking of name-lojbanization, can anyone think
of a better way to lojbanize that vowel?

> 2) Most dialects of English do not actually use a "y" in the pronunciation 
> where Pol inserted one, but just use syllabic "n".

Listening to myself, I hear a little bit of a vowel between the s and
n - not quite lojban's {y}, more like English's short i (I ought to
learn the phonetic alphabet one of these days...), but lojban doesn't
have an unambiguous way to write that sound. But {olsn} certainly
works too.

co'o mi'e pol