Subject: Re: [lojban] slashdot.org gives Lojban a push

From: "Daniel Gudlat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:42:23 +0200

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> At 12:40 PM 05/02/2000 +0200, Daniel Gudlat wrote:
> >la lojbab. cusku di'e
> > > Oh, kinda interesting is that the hits on the 29th came from 63
different
> > > country domains, including such places as Christmas Island and
Niue.
> >
> >Hmm, we may finally get a truly international audience on the list.
This
> >may prove interesting. Three cheers to slashdot if it really happens!
>
> We already have a quite international audience. Take a look sometime.
Our
> most frequent poster is Jorge from Argentina. Chris from New Zealand
just
> responded on this thread. I think something like 30-40% of list
> subscribers are known to be non-US people

Hmm, and how many of those still have English as their native language?
What I meant with that remark were people who speak just enough English
to make themselves understood in that language, but come from as wide a
variety of native languages as possible. E.g. I'm German, but I'm fluent
enough in English that I switch to English-thinking-mode when conversing
via email. That means that as a non-native English speaker, I'm somewhat
more likely to detect malglico, but not nearly as likely as someone who
hasn't got such a big English-language-buffer between lojban and his/her
native tongue.

Also, I'm learning lojban via English, and usually translate lojban into
English instead of my native German, which doesn't help the issue
either. I guess I'd like to see a lot of the lojban learning material
available in all the gismu source languages as well as other languages,
especially French and German, so we can offer native stuff to as many
prospective lojban learners as possible. Once I have a better command of
lojban I intend to translate some of the stuff into German, or is
someone already doing so? If so speak up, please! Btw, Is there an easy
way to "localize" the logflash programs?

Bye,
--
Daniel "Gudy" Gudlat
[email-masked]

No one pays me enough to speak for them, so I only speak for myself.