Subject: Re: [lojban] So, wait til you feel a cold no-nose

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 13:55:09 PDT

la pijem cusku di'e

>My tendency would be to leave sumji as mathematical as possible,
>i.e. as close as possible to existing concepts of addition in
>mathematics, so I'd say there's an even stronger case for saying that
>sumji should be commutative than the corresponding case for jmina.

I agree it should be commutative, but I don't see much benefit
in restricting it strictly to mathematics. The extension to
a wider sense is pretty obvious, and it doesn't seem likely
to cause a lot of ambiguity.

>The word {tanru} is probably more suitable. The definition is more
>generic than what we usually think of as tanru:
>
> tanru [ tau ] phrase compound
> x1 is a binary metaphor formed with x2 modifying x3, giving meaning x4
> in language x5 <br> (x2 and x3 are both text or both si'o concept)
>
>So I think it is appropriate for general grammatical modification,
>including subject/predicate in English (see x5).

Well... You're right, of course, but its customary meaning
is already very entrenched. I tend to think that usage is
much more powerful than dictionary definitions. We'll see.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com