Subject: Date format (Re: Lojban / Most translated Web Page)

From: "Lalo Martins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:52:14 -0000

--- In [email-masked], pycyn@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 5/7/00 5:47:54 PM CST, jjllambias@h... writes:
>
> As I just said about some other meshugash, this "logical" has nothing to do
> with Lojban being a logical language, and so that line of chat is irrelevant
> here. The pattern of relevance for the order of things is consistently
> throughout the language "most used first" (or "least used last") so long as
> it is consistent with the basic design. The dmy date format, along with the
> hms time one seems to follow from that. Personally I like Julian dates to 3
> sig places each side the decimal, but that never seems to get far.

I beg to disagree. There isn't really "most used first" for dates. If you're
talking about the near future or past, you will probably use only the day or
day/month; however, if you're talking about the distant future/past
("distant" as in from a few years on), you will probably use only the year
or month/year.

When were you born? :-)

And replying to a different subthread: I don't think lojban should
concentrate on emulating existing languages. Leave that to Interlingua (it
does a pretty good job at that). I'm not sure we need a standard date
format; but if we do, pick the one which will be used most easily in real
conversation/writing, and forget "backwards compatibility".

(sorry to "newbie in", but it's a subject I'm very interested in, as my job
consists mainly of maintaining news sites)

[]s,
|alo
+----
--
Hack and Roll ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo mailto:[email-masked]
pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG) --- http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar