Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban / Most translated Web Page

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:29:56 -0400

At 07:27 PM 05/08/2000 +0000, PILCH Hartmut wrote:
>There are other examples of silly centrifugal order in German, e.g. "S 828
>BGB", which is just an abbreviation for something like "Section 828 of the
>Civil Law". Nobody can argue that it suits human thinking well to first
>dive down into a section and then look up and see what body of law we are
>talking about. There is no deeper meaning to these language conventions.
>They are just habits that evolved out of the language's grammer pattern
>and were never questioned, no matter how unpractical the results were.

I agree that they probably evolved out of the language's grammar pattern, 
but you persist is seeing tanru as the more basic grammar pattern of 
Lojban, and dates as being tanru, whereas the basic unambiguous structure 
is the restrictive clause/phrase, or the added specified place on a 
predicate (with a sumti tcita when necessary). Both of these tend to be 
added to the end in Lojban, though there are ways to prepend them.

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)