Subject: Going walking (Re: [lojban] Lojbanizing my (nick)name)

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 10:42:25 +0300

Brook Conner wrote:
> So the opening sentence goes (in English):
> 
> Max the dog loves to go for walks.
> 
> which I've translated as follows when maintaining word order:
> 
> la maks. [...] gerku cu se pluka lo nu cadzu

That means (or will, if you supply the necessary connective)
`Max the dog likes walking'. Walking includes moving inside
one's house, or getting to whatever locations one is used to
reaching on foot, but we don't normally think of those kinds
of walking as going for walks.

And we refer to walks (promenades) by words unrelated to the
word(s) used for walking (locomotion by legs). Unless, that
is, we happen to be speaking English.

(This sounds like something that has been discussed here before.)

--Ivan