Subject: Re: [lojban] centripetality: subset vs component

From: PILCH Hartmut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:06:43 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

> Fascinating! Are Asians and Europeans truly outraged by our
> "aggressive" use of first names?

no, but a little estranged sometimes.
There is a little clash of norms.
I think I wrote that quite clearly anyway.

> In general, little endian makes more sense. I live in Soho. If you don't
> know where that is, I'll tell you it's in Manhattan, and so on. 

You apparently didn't read my argumentation.
You repeat the same fallacies that have been debated over and over again.
I should create some "liste of popular linguistic errors concerning date
structures".
In short: there are two different hierarchies of importance: that of the
listener and that of the speaker. The communication-centered vs the
ego-centered one. Tho Postman does not first go to Soho but to the the
next smaller radius after the common circle that connects him to you, e.g.
"U.S. ==> New York". "New York" is the important part, not "Soho".
Soho is the nucleus/center of the expression, and centripetality just
means that expansion goes leftward. 

-phm