Subject: Re: [lojban] More adventures of Max the Dog... pro-bridi, brevity, and tone

From: Peter Moulder <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 2000 13:14:24 +1000

la bruk. no'u la'e <[email-masked]> cusku di'e

> la maks. poi gerku cu se pluka lo mu'e cadzu cei broda

I believe {cei broda} needs to come after the selbri of the
bridi anyway, as in

la maks. poi gerku cu se pluka cei broda lo mu'e cadzu

That's certainly the way it's done in example 5.6 of chapter 7.

Doing so makes it clear that broda refers to the outer bridi rather
than to `cadzu' or (if kei were inserted before cei) to `mu'e cadzu
kei'.

> But when using "broda", how does one distinguish between
> *replacement* of a sumti, and addition of a sumti?

In this case, even if you supplied x3 instead of x2 you wouldn't be
adding: you'd only be replacing zo'e. The way you choose which sumti
you're replacing is with FA (or just by placement of the sumti
relative to the word broda: in {X broda}, X replaces the x1 place of
broda, whereas by saying {broda X}, X replaces the x2 place of broda
(just as, in {klama le zarci}, le zarci fills the x2 place of klama)).

So

> .i broda lo mu'e ze'i cadzu

would mean

> la maks. poi gerku cu se pluka lo mu'e ze'i cadzu
> 
> Max the dog likes to go for short walks. (conditions unspecified).

co'o mi'e pijem.