Subject: Re: [lojban] RECORD: Shqip

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:00:18 -0400

At 04:54 AM 05/18/2000 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>Lojban is not suitable for representing Vulcan because
>1. it is too obviously terrestrial (evolved in the wrong ocean)

So is Klingon. But that didn't stop it.

>2. it is not logical in the appropriate sense (too emotional for starters)

That Lojban can be used for emotional expression does not mean that it has 
to be. More properly, Vulcan would be a subset of Lojban (perhaps the 
Vulcan we would hear on teh set is degraded Lojban = the attitudinals 
having been evolved out of the language (or more likely mutated into 
non-emotional but similar meanings).

>3. Paramount is not amenable.

No one knows this. The subject has never been raised to my knowledge. We 
can presume that they would be less interested than they were in Okrand's 
work simply because of the control issue. They also do not need a fully 
developed language like Lojban - just enough for verisimilitude.

Most importantly, I think you left off the points that several Lojbanists 
do not favor the idea of trying to equate Vulcan and Lojban. I think 
several reasons were cited in the discussion by different people.

PS, why is your subject seeming to refer to Albania when you talk about 
Vulcan? %^)

lojbab

----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org