Subject: Re: [lojban] Help with fiction

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 17:00:33 -0400

At 04:42 PM 05/20/2000 -0400, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >>{mipri girzu}? {sivni girzu}?
> >
> >You have presented reasons why they are not necessarily a tradition
> >"cabal". With Lojban, they have decide just what they are trying to say.
>
>Why? It's a name. If I call myself "la carmi gusni misno", a
>literalist translation of 'Robin', to wit, "Bright Fame", I am _not_
>nescessarily saying that I am a bright light nor than I am famous, let
>alone that I am a bright light type of famous, whatever that may mean,
>any more than a person with the last name Bear is asserting their
>bear-like qualities.

I am mystified by the problem then - why don't they just call themselves 
"la kabal" or even "la cabal" if they are not interested in the 
connotations? And if they are interested in connotations, then my point is 
that they have to decide which ones they want to convey and choose the name 
that conveys them.

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org