Subject: Re: [lojban] coi rodo - mi'e .aulun.

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 16:58:45 +0300

Jorge Llambias wrote:
> >Chuangtze and Huitze had
> >strolled on to the bridge over the Hao,
[...]
> i ca le nu la tcuantsen e la xuitsen

In my view {n} is a very poor choice of a consonant wherewith
to end a cmene made from a Chinese name, because it's one of
the very few that the hearer won't be able to recognise as such.
All things considered, I'd go for {tcuan,ts} and {xuei,ts}.
(Or maybe not. People might be tempted to insert an auxiliary
vowel between the two components of the affricate, which would
be awful.)

> ba'o dzukla le cripu be le xaos kei

Make that {xaus}.

> >"You yourself are not a fish," said Huitze,
[...]
> i lu do na finpe sei xy cusku [...] li'u
> 
> >"And you not being I," retorted Chuangtze,
> 
> i lu va'o le nu do na du mi sei ty spuda [...] li'u

{do na finpe} vs {do na du mi} does not quite get across the
parallelism of the original, which had, I take it, something
like _ni3 bu4shi4 yu2_ vs _ni3 bu4shi4 wo3_. There should
be a way of making the two utterances more similar. ...

--Ivan