Subject: Re: [lojban] coi rodo - mi'e .aulun.

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:51:00 PDT

la pycyn cusku di'e

>I guess arguments don't translate any better than jokes in some cases. The
>question Hui asks is literally "From where do you know that,"so that 
>Chuang's
>final "From on the Hao Bridge" is a secondary shot at Hui (and one that
>clearly won't go into lb at all, since Hao Bridge would not work as even an
>information source, let alone a means to knowledge).

Nice! Maybe {ma krasi le nu do djuno} does allow more
variation on sources?

>This English is the
>first time I can remember seeing that "the way I feel" bit from Chuang, but
>it doesn't kill the central point. It is just not clear that asking how 
>(in
>whatever way that is put) you do something does not entail that you do do 
>it.

This is what I meant:

Chuang: a'a lei finpe to'ojefa'amu'u sutra
i la'e di'u pluka lei finpe
Hui: i ju'apei go'i i do na finpe

This is really what Hui should want to know first,
what kind of evidential status Chuang gives to his assertion.
Is it his opinion, an observation, hearsay, cultural knowledge?
Hui seems to be saying: it can't be experiential knowledge,
so what kind of knowledge is it? Chuang's final answer is
that it is experiential knowledge after all, but the wordplay
in the middle doesn't really strengthen his claim. It is only
Hui's poor phrasing of his question that allows Chuang to
attribute to Hui a claim to knowledge that he doesn't really
want to make. All that Chuang could really ask Hui back
is "how do you know that I'm not a fish?", but hopefully
Hui could give some good reasons for that.

>Well, Chuang, as a good proto-taoist, would probably maintain that he is a
>lot closer to fish in a river than he is to the very court-centrered Hui --
>nature v. culture and all. But again, he does not chase down that line but
>returns to a better ploy.

He may maintain that, but then why is he philosophizing
with Hui instead of darting about with the fish?
I remain unconvinced. :)

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com