Subject: Re: rafsi - the Lakhota way?

From: "Alfred W. Tüting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 07:29:00 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Pierre Abbat <phma@o...> wrote:
> >Antivereinigenstaatenskonstitutionenspirituosenwarenhaendler.
> 
> Let's see, how do I say that in Lojban?
> 
> na'ekempavbivmoiga'imercmuflake'exalpixcanja - can someone improve
this?
> phma

Wow, boy! What you, calling yourself a beginner, can do in Lojban -
using a 'German' compound I hardly manage to get the sense 
out! All those fancy compounds are *German* because their non-German
inventors think about it to be German ;) - except those 
un-famous 'Blitzkrieg' etc.. 
Although having a good feeling for German language, I never cared
much for German grammar (it's far too boring): so I cannot give 
you the rules for forming compounds. Just can tell you that it's
pretty irregular. I guess one - at least myself - has to learn each 
single compound whether there has to be a 'glue' inserted (genitiv s)
or not. E.g., after words with more than one syllable very 
often an s has to be attached: brot*zeit (bread-time=snack), but
Frühling*s*wind (spring-breeze/wind). Yet, this rule is not at 
all strict: Leben*s*versicherung (life-insurance), but
Unfall*versicherung (accident-insurance) etc.

Here I give you a 'real existing' and famous German/Austrian fancy
compound word - used just for fun: Donau*dampf*schiff*
fahrt*s*gesellschaft*s*kapitän ... (Danube-stea
m-boat-travel-company-captain). Watch the 'glues'! 
Up to last year (when an 'Orthographiereform' took place) the common
word 'Schiffahrt' was not allowed with three f (Schifffahrt) 
- now it is, but looking strange!

I wished being able to form Lojban lujvo like you do! (Are there
ethymological gismu charts? - for Mac users?)

.aulun.

Alfred *¯¿s

http://www.fa-kuan.muc.de
Traces of Butterflies' Dreams - ***/*™ "Tieh Meng Hen"
My Poetry