Subject: Re: [lojban] Transfinite ordinals

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 03:18:42 -0400

At 09:13 PM 06/04/2000 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>I notice that Lojban has a word for transfinite cardinals, but not for
>transfinite ordinals.
>
>Transfinite cardinals (denoted by Hebrew letters with subscripts) tell the
>number of elements in a set; transfinite ordinals (denoted by Greek letters)
>tell how it is ordered. For instance, the set of all positive integers has
>cardinality aleph-null and ordinality omega. The set of all positive integers
>and aleph-null still has cardinality aleph-null, but its ordinality is 
>omega+1.
>The set of all ordered pairs of positive integers has ordinality omega*omega,
>but its cardinality is still aleph-null.
>
>Anyone want to add a word for these?

We are not adding new words; the language is baselined. (Other than lujvo 
which are more accurately described as built from existing pieces of the 
language, and borrowings which are taken from other languages, and are 
considered only semi-Lojban as a result).

We have always assumed that an ordinal could be expressed by adding the 
ordinal suffix moi to a number (cardinal or otherwise - Lojban does not 
worry about the semantics).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org