Subject: Re: [lojban] (Technical) Problem area in v3 grammar

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:20:09 +0100

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 06:14:10PM -0700, Clark & Janiece Nelson wrote:
> On the other hand, John's modification would make true the statement
> from The Complete Lojban Language, chapter 10, section 27: "It is
> grammatical for a termset to be placed after a tense or modal tag," thus
> removing a contradiction from the Book.
> 

More thoughts ...

I tried the example in the book that follows the statement :

la frank. sanli zu'a nu'i la djordj. lu'a lo mitre be li mu nu'u

and interestingly it does parse already! - although, the zu'a is parsed
as a single term (i.e. a floating tense), rather than a tag applying to
the following nu'i..nu'u termset. So if you use John's 'tag termset'
construction with the existing grammar, you don't get the meaning you
think you're getting. Hence, the extra grammar rule is necessary to
make this construct useful as a fix for the problem I originally raised.
(If you really want zu'a to be a floating tense in the above example,
you'd have to put ku afterwards.)

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/