Subject: Re: Bootlegger

From: "Alfred W. Tüting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 16:14:53 -0000

la pier. cusku di'e

> It's a word in the style of German long words. It actually says
more than the
> German (the German word doesn't mention the 18th amendment), but is
shorter.

O good Lord, what a word monstre (Germ.: "Wortungetüm") you're
fondly playing around with ;))) - it took me quite some time to 
translate, with that /pavbivmoiga'i/ amendment! And you call it
*German long word style* - you'd better give it a Hopi or Aztek or 
whatever Native American name! I remember having encountered such
kind of words trying to spell the airplane security 
informations in Tlingit and Athapaskan language. I hate German for
words less long than this. Seriously, Jorge is right with his 
advice to use shorter expressions. I think it's "kontraproduktiv" for
a language dedicated to logic. Different to German (but it's got a 
lot better during the last century), English is famous for being
short - and that is okay! Lojban seems to be a bit 'lengthy' compared 
to it.
Yet, nontheless, I'm a bit fascinated too solving puzzles like
/nalkempavbivmoiga'imercmuflake'exalpixycanja/ :)) in order to 
improve my 'Lojbanic' skills.

co'o mi'e .aulun.

P.S. I wonder if jokes can be told in Lojban (very often ambiguity is
essential for them - try to *explain* it and it's over...) or 
irony can be conveyed.