Subject: Re: lujvo

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:32:34 EDT

In a message dated 00-06-12 16:05:25 EDT, aulun writes:

<< I just wanted to have a Lojban equivalent to Italian 
"Madonna" (ma donna=my lady/mistress; having a fixed - first of all
Roman-Catholic - meaning, comparable to German "Unsere 
liebe Frau..."). >>

I suppose that is where the singer got it -- she is of Italian descent, I 
seem to recall. The
name does get around though -- consider Liebfraumilch for just one.

<<(Since /mamta/ isn't necessarily meant biologically, why 
not /seljbecevni/?).>>

But this case IS meant biologically -- and wouldn't cevrseljbe fit the lb 
patterns better?

<<>all others are variants of Sanskrit
"vatinganah": badinjan, aubergine, brinjal, S. melongena,
> melenzana, mad apple (misinterpretation of "melenzana" as "mala
insana"). Pick any you want and add "spaty" or "gruty" to the
> beginning of it.

In German it's 'Aubergine' or 'Eierfrucht' (eggfruit), in Romanian
it's more special: they're called 'vinete' (lb: VInete), which is 
'(the) purple ones'. In the same manner tomatoes are 'rosii' (lb:
roci), '(the) red ones' and the long-shaped yellow-green paprikas 
are named by 'ardei' (lb: arDEI), '(the) burning (hot) ones'. So why
not zirspa? ;) Don't they also taste like zirspa!>>

Sorry I waxed colloquial on you. But as to eggplants, I wonder what culture 
has a claim
on the original -- I suspect the Indian does, hence my preference for 
brinjal. But other can
surely make cases. zirspa is nice too, but not likely to be understood 
immediately, given
all the purple things that come to mind first. But maybe with plant = 
vegetable, it would
work.

<<BTW, a fine and delicious dish is Romanian 'musaca de vinete' (lb:
musaKA). It's like Turkish 'imam bayildi' (about lb: ba,iyldY).>>

With a name like that, I would have expected somethhing more like the Greek, 
lasagne
with slice eggplant for noodles, ground lamb, and loads of Bechamel , not 
stuffed
eggplants with extra olive oil (it was the oil bill that made the iman faint, 
right?).