Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:09:02 -0400

John Cowan writes:
>On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
>> If I read "lo <foo>" where foo translates to "the mother of
>> God", I'm going to be pissed. It assumes that there is an objectively
>> observable God _and_ that said God has a mother _and_ that it's the God
>> you're talking about.
>
>Not at all. Since "lo <foo>" is the same as "da poi <foo>", it simply
>means that the speaker is asserting that something is a mother of God
>along with whatever the bridi asserts. From your point of view,
>statements about the mother of God are like statements about purple
>rhinoceroses: uncontroversially false. 

Not really, but this isn't the place to explain my semi-humanist
religious POV. :)

>But there is no *assumption* here.

Ah. Point taken, objection withdrawn.

-Robin, who reserves the right to laugh, though.

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_