Subject: Re: lujvo (zasxismamta)

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:45:12 -0000

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> But in Lojban, none of these would have the Italian MEANING of
"Madonna" 
> because Lojban tanru have all manner of interpretations, and lujvo
select a 
> single ad hoc one of these, but are not necessarily a part of the
lexicon 
> unless picked up by the speaking community (and/or enshrined in the 
> dictionary). There is no guarantee that a given proposed lujvo
will be 
> understood as having a particular meaning unless it is used in
Lojban text 
> with that meaning and is is indeed understood as such.

Yes, I' fully aware of that.

> We ARE trying for a culturally neutral language, so if I wanted a
word for 
> the mother of Christ, I would NOT use "cevni", I would use "xriso"
as the 
> basis for the lujvo.

Okay, that's it. Accepted!

One need not be Christian to understand the concept 
> "xismamta" ... For the honorific implied in "Ma" donna - I would
use the
> ameliorative of Lojban, so I would translate the name/title
"Madonna" as 
> "zanxismamta".

Thanks a lot!

> ... (and whether she was biological mother and who/what was the 
> biological father can be left for another debate).

Oh, no! ;) We're just talking on language, though very often this
involves real life and the 'wan wu' around us.

.uicai .i ki'e
.aulun