Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:37:57 -0400

Ivan A Derzhanski writes:
>Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
>> But in Lojban, none of these would have the Italian MEANING of "Madonna"
>> because Lojban tanru have all manner of interpretations, and lujvo
>> select a single ad hoc one of these, but are not necessarily a part
>> of the lexicon unless picked up by the speaking community (and/or
>> enshrined in the dictionary).
>
>Indeed. {cevni mamta} `god mother' invites at least two obvious
>interpretations: `mother who is a goddess' (Thetis) and `mother
>of a god' (Alcmene).

I actually would have thought of Godmother in the Catholic sense before
either of those.

-Robin, apparently failing to break out of his cultural mode. :P

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_