Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:26:11 -0400

"Jorge Llambias" writes:
>I also don't see what could be offensive about {lo mamta be lo cevni}
>= "a mother of a god" and similar expressions, but then people do
>tend to be touchy about godly matters. Whether one believes the
>expression could truly apply to something in the world is a different
>question from whether the expression makes sense.

lo LE the really is
veridical descriptor: the one(s) that really
is(are) ...

The implication is that the speaker is insisting that such a thing
really is. 

Note that the specific vector of offense for me would be if someone used
a generic expression like that ("one or more mothers of one or more
gods") to refer specifically to Christianity and its mythology. The
all-too-common assumption by Christians that their religion is the only
relevant one pisses me off.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_