Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:34:17 -0400

"Jorge Llambias" writes:
>>From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
>>
>> lo LE the really is
>> veridical descriptor: the one(s) that really
>>	is(are) ...
>>
>>The implication is that the speaker is insisting that such a thing
>>really is.
>
>That is what the speaker claims, but why would a claim that the
>speaker makes and that you don't believe offend you? Only because
>it is about some god, I suppose. Or are you offended by any
>claim with which you disagree?

I think I maybe just misunderstand lo. To me, 'lo cevni' sounds like
the English phrase 'the One True God(s)', which has a _huge_ mess of
underlying assumptions, many of which ignore the beliefs of 2/3s or so
of the planet, at least, depending on which god you're reffering to.

Any set of unexamined assumptions that denigrate that many people
offends me (a lot of the assumptions westerners make about fat people
and health issues related to that, for example), but the fact that it's
about religion may make it more touchy. Or maybe it's just because
no-one ever stopped me in the street to scream "All fat people are going
to die of heart attacks!", whereas having strangers yell at me that
"Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the light!"" has happened so
often as to be almost commonplace.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_