Subject: Re: Lojban & poetry

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:11:50 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Jorge Llambias" <jjllambias@h...> wrote:

> i daskyne'i ctilygrute

coi xorxes. e rodo

I am still pondering on the lujvo /ctilygrute/

ctile 43.34 petroleum/oil o
ciieu oil butal petrole nieft naft
ciieu oil butal petrole nieft batrol
(petroleum )

and see that the gismu /ctile/ not only is defined as "petroleum' but
also derives from expressions with that meaning: as you can see every 
language except English unambiguously gives the word for *mineral*
oil. ( also Mandarin: 'ciieu' obviously is 'shi you' ¥Ûªo
"stone-oil").
Many languages (except English, German, Hungarian...) do not use
'oil' but for non-edible oils: e.g. in Romanian it's 'ulei'
(petroleum) and 'unt 
de lemn' (=wood-butter) for edible grease/oil etc..
So maybe /rasygrute/ 'Oilfruit'/olive would be more appropriate -
okay?

co'o mi'e .aulun.