Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:42:52 EDT

In a message dated 00-06-16 06:25:55 EDT, aulun writes:

<< I go on hitting a dead horse (?)

As for /za'o/ overcompletion: 
Was my (initial) goal to *kill* the horse by beating it? And now
(after having *reached* it) I still go on with my action - with a 
goal no longer reachable! (e.g. mi za'o klama la paris.)
Was my goal to make the (live) horse running in higher speed? And now
(after having *missed* this goal) go on with my action...
Or even: Did I want to hit a dead horse? - And after a while doing
so, I still continue whipping it... >>

"Beating a dead horse" in English. Continue discussing a topic that has been 
discussed too much already, usually after a decision has been made and 
discussion is therefore moot. I suspect that the origin is either your first 
or your second and probably originally your second, though the first might 
make sense. I think that Lojban could make a distinction between these two: 
I would put xorxes' version to your number 1 and make your two {mi xarci le 
xirma za'o lenu xy morsi}. But,as you can see, xorxes and I disagree about 
{za'o} (I would have his reading of the trip from Raleigh as {mi klama la 
painvil la ralix za'o la carlyt}