Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: mi zo'a klama

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:57:39 -0400

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la pycyn cusku di'e
>
>>I take {za'o} to mean over-completion of the the described event -"He kept 
>>on
>>building the hosue" means he kept building after the house was done.
>
>Right, as long as he was still doing some building of the
>house.
>
>>So here
>>you keep going after Pineville is passed.
>
>But he is no longer going _to Pineville_! How can he keep
>going there if he is no longer going there? I don't think
>{za'o klama py} can be the same as {klama lo bancu be py}.

I think that the natural end of going to Pineville is Pineville, so "mi za'o
klama py" means "I go past P". The difference between "za'o klama" and "klama
lo bancu" is that in the former, you intended to stop but kept going, which the
latter does not imply.

If you want to specify where you actually end up, you can say "mi klama la Rak
Xil za'o le nu mi klama la Painvil". (I was going to say "klamu'o", but that
would imply that the going was complete at RH, which it wasn't - it was
complete at P, but I kept going.)

For "I keep going out of habit", I would say "mi za'o ta'e klama" - "mi ta'e
za'o klama" would mean "I am in the habit of going too far".

To distinguish "I went past Pineville" from "I took too long to get to
Pineville", you could say "mi fe'e za'o klama la Painvil" for the former.

phma