Subject: malglico/maldotco

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:22:56 -0000

la maikl. cusku di'e
> ...nu'u la faost. fo le dotyvla be le ga'orxa'e (I would say 'Mann,
which is
>the German word for "man", wrote "Faust", which is the German word
>for "fist".)

ga'orxa'e:ganlo+xance:fist (closed hand???): Isn't this typical
malglico and maybe also maldotco!
>From the definiton of /ganlo/
x1 (portal/passage/entrance-way) is closed/fef/not open, preventing
passage/access to x2 by x3 1e 28 [as a doorway, but also 
perhaps a semi-permeable membrane]
one hardly can say /ga'orxa'e/ since one cannot close/shut a hand
like a door etc.
(In German, sometimes in court you would ask:"Did you hit his head
with your hand closed or...?", but usually the expression is 'die 
Hand zur Faust *ballen*/to'ball' one's hand... or 'die *geballte*
Faust/the 'balled' fist).

So, the expression /fegboixa'e:fengu+bolci+xance:fist/ (that I found
in my lujvo list) seems much better lojban than /ga'orxa'e/, 
doesn't it? So, is it maldotco? I'd say no: The German expressions
doesn't seem to be idiomatic at all because giving the universal 
'picture' of a 'balled' hand translated into Lojban without any loss
by /bolci xance/ (=ball-shape-hand).

(BTW, how could the German phrase "Er ballte drohend seine Faust" be
translated to Lojban? 'drohend'=threatening)

co'o mi'e .aulun.