Subject: predicates as cmeme (was "Our Lady of Mercy" etc)

From: Major <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:51:46 +0800

Sorry, I missed the beginning of the "Madonna" thread and this may be
the point of the person who started it before it wandered off into the
land of theology (never to be seen again 8-), but...

Is it possible in Lojban to somehow say

la <pred-with-le>

meaning

the thing who's name is the description ...

this would be particularly useful for institutions.

Australian Cancer Society.

would be better translated as a set of predicates "Australian kind-of
cancer kind-of society" rather than as the conversion of the sounds
into Lojban form BUT it would still be important for the listener to
know that this was a name, not a description

[1] The FooBar Foundation is an Australian Cancer Society
[2] The Australian Cancer Society today announced...

[1] and [2] Should use the same brivla for "Australian Cancer Society"
but it should be clear that in [2] it is a name and in [1] a
description.

Major