Subject: Re: Computing in lojbanistan

From: "Arnt Richard Johansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:03:20 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "LYlun.martins." <lalo@h...> wrote:
> I'd like to invite experient lojbanists who use Unix, GNU/Linux
> or similar systems, and use software internationalized trough
> potfiles (such as most GNU/Linux software), to translate some
> potfiles to lojban.

We need lots of specialized computer jargon to do that. If we were
to 
suddenly start inventing lots of new computer terms, they would, as 
Lojbab has pointed out, run the risk of being flawed and/or malrarbau.

> GNU-compatible systems can be configured to use lojban if
> available and some other language otherwise, with a syntax
> similar to this:
> export LANGUAGE=lb:pt_BR

You mustn't do that! "lb" is the ISO two-letter language code for 
letzeburgesch!

Unless the GNU internatinalization system is hard-coded for two 
letters (which I doubt), you can and should use "x-lojban" as the 
language code for Lojban.

> It can also be a powerful learning tool, if you're already used
> enough to the software to know what does each function by heart
> - you will at least learn "File", "Edit" and "Help" in lojban
> soon enough ;-)

Hmm. Would "Help" be "nu sidju", "sidju notci", "sidju velciksi", or 
"ko sidju mi"?

co'o mi'e tsali