Subject: Re: [lojban] Names of characters

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:38:28 -0400

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Elrond wrote:
>> " - lubu
>won't "lubu" be parsed as "lu bu" (and probably make the following
>ungrammatical) ? 
>The jbofi'e goes crazy with the even bridi "zo lubu cu valsi".

"zo" quotes the next word, meaning the next single cmavo, not compound cmavo,
if it's a cmavo.

>> $ - rupnu bu
>this clashes with the "Yen" and "Cent" and "Euro" symbols
>why not meryru'u bu ?
>and ponru'ubu and ronru'ubu for others ?

Fepni bu is a cent sign, and there are other countries that call their currency
"dollar" and use "$" for it. As to ponru'u bo, agreed.

>> @ - abubu (?)
>I never thought that "@" had anything to do with "a"... At least not in
>the phonological sense...
>I may be wrong, but isn't there more obvious meaning of the "@" that could
>be used for its name ?

Nor do the letters A, E, O, and U, as letters, have anything to do with logical
conjunctions. There are all sorts of names for "@": snail, arroba, a commercial
(I thought that meant "commercial at", but apparently not), monkey tail, and
even horse (which happens to be "at" in Turkish).

phma